Monday, January 2, 2012

WE ARE FAMILY!! Prefix Family Vocabulary Mini Lesson

Happy New Year!!


I'm embarrassed about how long it's been since I've written a post, so let's leave all those excuses in the past, shall we? Thanks :)


I've got a "NEW" lesson to start the new year! 


After my students took the PSAT Test, and their first F.A.S.T Test last year, many expressed the desire to learn more about prefixes, suffixes, and word origins to help build their vocabulary (shout out to Raul!!).  So I've decided to start the year off with a cool activity called "Prefix Family Vocabulary."


My Goals:

  • To introduce the most common prefixes used in the English language.
  • To increase the use of high-level vocabulary in class discussion and casual conversations.
  • To meet an expressed need of my students.

Resource:
One will be posted at each group prior to students entering class. These are the prefixes we'll be addressing this week.
Prefix Family Vocab PDF




My Plan:


Part 1:
  1. Students will be separated into groups of 6. These groups will be called "families."
  2. Each family will represent a specific prefix, i.e "The Mal- Family"
  3. Each family will have a sign (above) that conveys what their family name means, i.e "Mal - = bad"
  4. Now that the family name is established, the "Matriarch" or "Patriarch" (formerly known as the "group leader" - moving to high-level vocab!!) must be selected.
  5. Each family member must find a name for themselves (using lexicons/dictionary apps, etc.) that starts with the "family name" and embodies the meaning, i.e "Malevolent".
  6. Once each family member finds a name, they must be sure to understand the meaning and be able to explain it to the class. However, they won't just explain the definition. Through acting, students will "introduce" themselves and try to embody what their "name" means. 
For example:


     STUDENT :  [with a scowl on his face] "Wassup! They call me Malevolent."
 [starts pacing around the room] "They call me Malevolent 'cause I hate EVERYTHING!! 

[spots a flower across the room, runs up to the flower and stares it down] 
                                                                   "I hate this FLOWER!"
 [spots a chair, runs up to the chair]   "...I...I...I hate this CHAIR!!"
 [looks down at the floor, starts stomping on the floor]     "I hate this FLOOR!!" 
                       "Yeah...they call me Malevolent...'cause I hate EVERYTHING!" 


WHOLE CLASS: [stands and cheers] "YAAAYYY!! I KNOW WHAT 'MALEVOLENT' MEANS!!"

*Yes, I have high expectations! (lol) Every introduction doesn't have to be this dramatic, and I'm sure most won't be. That's just what I had going on in my head. Had to get it out :)*
          
      7. Each family must introduce themselves.

Part 2:

Each family will collaborate with other families by separating into different groups. The matriarch's/patriarch's will stay at their group and act as the expert of their family, and all other members will be mixed and act as experts of their family. The easiest way to mix groups is to count off by 5. All the 1's go to the "Mal- Family", all the 2's  go to the "Ante- Family", etc.

Plan:

1. Students will be given a chart with a list of words, all with prefixes of the various families.
2. Students must discuss what they think the words mean and write their definition on the chart.
3. Students must then check their definitions against those found in lexicons/dictionary apps, etc. to see if they were correct.


I'll have students give instant feedback of the lesson through polleverywhere. We LOVE it!!

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog and I love to read it. Everyone have problem in their vocabulary and vocabulary practice makes us perfect.
    SAT reading practice tests
    SAT reading practice online

    ReplyDelete